- Maharashtra, the third largest state in India, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India.
- Maharashtra boasted of a strong GSDP of 8% in the fiscal year of 2015-2016.
- The state of Maharashtra comprises of 36 districts with an estimated population of 11.2 million. Maharashtra contributes 9.3% to the total Indian population.
- Maharashtra ranks 1st in terms of India’s total employment with the urban sector contributing to about 54% and the rural sector contributing to over 46% of the total employment.
- In 2015, Maharashtra ranked 2nd in terms of foreign tourist visits to India and 5th in terms of domestic tourist visits to India.
Sources: Government of Maharashtra Budget: 2016-2017, Economic Survey of Maharashtra: 2014-2015, Sixth Economic Census: 2013-2014, India Tourism Statistics
- Mumbai, the capital of Maharashtra is India’s largest city with a population of over 22 million.
- Mumbai is set to be the world’s second biggest urban conglomeration by 2025.
- Mumbai ranks 6th among the world’s top 10 billionaire cities and contributes 6.14% to the world’s GDP.
- Mumbai is home to important financial centers such as the Reserve Bank of India, Bombay Stock Exchange and the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- Mumbai constitutes 40% of India’s foreign trade.
- Mumbai is India’s ‘Entertainment Hub’ with its film industry (Bollywood) worth USD 2.3 billion.
- Mumbai houses the largest film industry with over 1,600 films produced every year and over 2.6 billion tickets sold worldwide.
Sources: Government of Maharashtra Budget, Forbes, Economic Survey of Maharashtra, Sixth Economic Census, India Tourism Statistics, Maharashtra Tourism.